10/06/2017 7:04 AM -
Glens Falls, NY - The Adirondack Thunder dropped their first preseason contest of the 2017-18 season as they fell 6-2 to the Reading Royals on Friday evening at Cool Insuring Arena. 
Reading opened the scoring early in the first period despite a Thunder flurry to open the game, which saw the game's first six shots go Adirondack's way. Reading forward Chris McCarthy gathered the puck on the right wing and fired through traffic from the right-hand circle, which beat Adirondack netminder Ken Appleby on the blocker side for the game's first goal. Forward Adam Schmidt and defenseman Nolan Zajac collected the assists for the Royals. 
Adirondack knotted the score at one at the 11:40 mark of the opening frame courtesy of a power-play goal from forward Austin Orszulak. After his first shot was blocked, Orszulak collected the puck at the top of the right circle and fired a wrist shot inside the far post for the Thunder's first goal of the preseason. Defenseman Desmond Bergin collected the lone assist on the play.
Despite the Thunder being on the man advantage, the Royals scored a pair of shorthanded tallies from forward Matt Wilkins to take a 3-1 lead. First, the Royals capitalized on a 2-on-0 rush as Wilkins converted after a series of passes with forward Mark Naclerio at the 1:56 mark of the second period. Just 35 seconds later, Wilkins struck again as he went in alone on Appleby and scored low on the blocker side for his second of the evening.
Adirondack moved back within one at the 9:25 mark of the middle stanza as forward JC Campagna scored the team's second power-play goal of the evening. Defenseman Kevin Lough fed Campagna at the top of the left-hand circle, where the 6-4 forward wired a wrist shot over the blocker of Reading netminder John Muse for the goal. Lough and forward Ty Loney collected the assists on the play for Adirondack. 
The Royals responded with their third and fourth goals of the period, both off the stick of Schmidt, as they opened up a 5-2 lead. First, Schmidt finished off a 2-on-1 rush as he swatted home a feed from forward Tyler Brown on the backhand for his second point of the evening. Schmidt struck again at the 13:07 mark of the second as his shot was initially saved by Appleby, but the puck took an awkward bounce and trickled over the goal line for his second goal in as many minutes.
The Royals scored the game’s final goal just 65 seconds into the third period as McCarthy collected his second tally and third point of the evening. McCarthy took a feed from Brown and streaked down the right wing on a 2-on-1 rush, where he fired a shot past Appleby from inside the hashmarks for his team’s sixth goal.  Both forwards collected their third point of the evening on the play. 
The Thunder will hit the ice again on October 14 for opening night as they kick off the 2017-18 ECHL season, their third as a member of the league, against the Brampton Beast. Get $15 tickets that include a hot dog and a soda for that game by visiting 
Adirondack Thunder Hockey – This Is Our Team

Search Archive »

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014